The charge of the Animal Research and Ethics Committee is:
- To promote the ethical, humane and responsible care and use of animals used for scientific purposes as per the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes (the Code)
- To safeguard responsible research with animals, and to establish and maintain cooperative relations with organizations and the Australasian Neuroscience Society, who share common interests.
- To disseminate in cooperation with other organizations and the Australasian Neuroscience Society, and provide accurate information about such research.
- To review the ethics of such research and recommend guidelines for its ethical conduct.
- To disseminate in cooperation with other organizations and the Australasian Neuroscience Society, strategies for the support and safeguarding the welfare of animals, that are used in research, teaching and practical applications and to consult on the implementation of these guidelines.